Tuesday, November 29, 2011

55: For a Jinling Tavern Farewell, Li Bai

55: For a Jinling Tavern Farewell


The wind blows the shop full of willow blossoms as

Mme. Wu shouts and pushes her wine on all to taste.


Sons and brothers of Jinling have come to see each other off;

Wishing to go, or not to go, each drains his cup.


I ask of you, please, which is greater: the loss of separation or

the water that flows down from the east?




Hey guys! This is a short, relatively strait-forward poem, but there's still tons to talk about. I took a slightly different tack here than I did last week with Du Fu's Look on Sacred Peaks, but I'll get into the choices I made more next post.



55: Jīnlíng jiǔsì liúbié


Fēng chuī liǔhuā mǎn diàn xiāng, Wú jī yā jiǔ huàn kè cháng.

Jīnlíng zǐdì lái xiāngsòng, yù xíngbuxíng gè jìn shāng.

Qǐng jūn shìwèn dōng liúshuǐ, bié yì yǔ zhī shuí duǎncháng?


55: 金陵酒肆留别


风吹柳花满店香,吴姬压酒唤客尝。

金陵子弟来相送,欲行不行各尽觞。

请君试问东流水,别意与之谁短长?

1 comment: