Thursday, September 2, 2010

Introductions

Welcome, all!

We are going to translate, one at a time, the three hundred poems of the 唐诗三百首. We will likely digress into attendant history, folklore, linguistic and literary issues. We will probably have something to say about what certain poems mean to us. Eventually, we may even finish.

This will be a learning experience. We are not accomplished translators, just lovers of China, of Chinese, and of ancient Chinese poetry. We will write as fans, and as the young man who stares off during the chorus of his favorite song eventually buys a secondhand guitar and picks out each chord, we will learn as we go. Eventually, we may even play uptempo, and someone else will sing along.

-Matt

2 comments:

  1. My father-in-law lived in China for a few years and still speaks some Mandarin. I need to point him in the direction of this blog. I think he'll love it, as do I. What a lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the father-in-law and I do indeed love the blog. I'll be following it faithfully. I've already added it to my Google Reader subscriptions.

    Thanks for the beauty!

    ReplyDelete